Rules of Burial.
612. It is obligatory to bury a dead body in the ground, so deep that is smell does not come out and the beasts of pray do not dig it out, and, if there is a danger of such beasts digging it out or there is the possibility that someone will be annoyed by the smell, then, the grave must be fortified by bricks and the like
613. If it is not possible to bury the dead body in the ground, it may be kept a vault or a coffin instead
614. The dead body should be laid in the grave on its right side so that the face remains towards the Qibla
619. It is not permitted to bury a Muslim in the graveyard of Kafirs, nor to bury a Kafir in the graveyard of the Muslims
620. It is also not permissible to bury the dead body of a Muslim at a place, which is disrespectful, like places where garbage is thrown
621. It is not permissible to bury a dead body in a usurped place nor in a place which is dedicated for purposes other than burial, e.g. in a Masjid or Hosseinieh
622. It is not permissible to dig up a grave for the purpose of burying another dead body in it, unless one is sure that the grave is very old and the former body has been totally disintegrated
623. Anything which is separated from the dead body (even its hair, nail or tooth) should be buried along with it. And it is Mustahab that nails and teeth cut off or extracted during lifetime are also buried.
624. If a person dies in a well and it is not possible to take him out, the well should be sealed, and the well should be treated as his grave.
Recommendatory Acts for Burial (Dafn)
627. It is Mustahab that the depth of the grave should be approximately equal to the size of an average person and the dead body be buried in the nearest graveyard, except when the graveyard which is situated farther is better due to some reasons, like if pious persons are buried there or people go there in large number for Fateha. It is also recommended that the coffin is placed on the ground a few yards away from the grave and then taken to the grave by halting three times briefly. It should be placed on the ground every time and then lifted before finally it is lowered into the grave at the 4th time. And if he dead body is of a male, it should be placed on the ground at the 3rd time in such a manner that its head should be towards the lower side of the grave and at the 4th time, it should be placed on the ground at the 3rd time towards the Qibla and should be lowered into the grave sidewise and a cloth should be spread over the grave while lowering it. It is also Mustahab that the dead body should be taken out of the coffin and lowered into the grave very gently, and the prescribed supplications should be recited before an during burying the dead body; and after the dead body has been lowered into the niche, the ties of its shroud should be unfastened and its cheek should be placed on earth, and an earthen pillow of clay should be done under its head and some unbaked bricks or lumps of clay should be placed behind its back, so that the dead body may not return flat on its back. Before closing the niche, the person reciting the Talqin should hold with his right hand the right shoulder of the dead body and should place his left hand tightly on its left shoulder and take his mouth near its ear and shaking its shoulders should say thrice:Isma ifham ya here the name of the dead person and his father should be called For example, if the name of the dead person is Muhammad and his fathers name Ali, it should be said thrice: Isam ifham ya Muhammad bin Ali. And then he should say: "Hal anta alal ahdil lazi farqtana alayhi min shahadati an la ilaha itllal lahu wahdahu la sharika lah wa anna Muhammadan salal lahu alayhi wa Alihi abduhu wa Rasuluhu wa sayyidun nabiyyina wa khatamul mursalina wa anna Aliyyan Amirul muminina wa sayyidul wasiyyina wa imamu nif arazallahu tatahu ala alamina wa annal Hasana wal Husayna wa Aliyyabnal Husayni wa Muhammadabna Aliyyin wa Jafarabna Muhammadin wa Musabna Jafarin wa Aliyyabna Musa wa Muhammadabna Aliyyin wa Aliyyabna Muhammadin wal Hasanabna Aliyyin wal Qatimal hujjatal Mahdi salawatullahi alayhim aimmatul muminia wa hujajullahiala khalqi ajmaina wa aimmatuka aimmatu hudanabrar . (here the name of the dead person ad his father should be called) and then the following words should be said: Iza atakal malakanil muqarraabani Rasulayni min indillahi tabaraka wa taala wa saalaka an Rabbika wa an Nabiyyika wa an dinika wa an Kitabika wa an Qiblatika wa an Aimmatika fala takhaf wa la tahzan waqul fi jawabi hima, Allahu Rabbi wa Muhammadun sallal tahu alayhi wa Alihi nabiyyi wal Islamu dini wal Quranu kitabi wal Kabatu Qiblati wa Amirul muminina Aliyybnu Abi Talib imami wal Hasanubnu Aliyyi nil Mujtaba immai wal Husaynubnu Aliyyi nish-shahidu bi-Karbala imami wa Aliyyun Zaynul Abidina imami wa Muhammadu nil Baqiru imami wa Jafaru nis Sadiqu imami wa Musal Kazimu imami wa Aliyyu-nir Riza imami wa Muhammadu nil Jawadu imami wa Aliyyu nil Hadi imami wal Hasanul askari imami wal Hujjatul muntazar imami ha ulai salawatullahi alayhim ajmain Aimmati wa sadati wa qadati wa shufa-ai bihim atawalla wa min adalhim atabarrau fid dunya wal akhirati thumma Ilam ya . here the name of the dead person and his father should be called and thereafter it should be said: Annal laha tabaraka wa taala nimar-Rabb wa anna Muhammadan sallal lahu alayhi wa Alihi nimar Rasul wa anna Aliyyabna Abi Talib wa awladahul masuminal Aimmatal ithna asharah nimal Aimmah wa anna ma jaa bihi Muhammadun sallal lahu alayhi wa Alihi haqqun wa annal mawta haqqun wa suwala munkarin wa nakirin fil qabri haqqun wal batha haqqun wan nushura haqqun wassirata haqqun wal mizana haqqun wa tatayiral kutubi haqqun wa annal jannata haqqun wan-nara haqqun wa annas saata atiyatun la rayba fiha wa annallaha yabathu man fil qubur.
Then the following words should be said: "Afahimta ya (here the name of the dead person should be called) and, thereafter, the following should be said: "Thabbatakallahu bil qawlith thabit wa hadakallahu ila siratim mustaqim arrafallahu baynaka wa bayna awliyaika fi mustaqarrim min rahmatih." Then the following words should be uttered: "Alla humma jafil arza an jambayhi vasad biruhihi ilayka wa laqqihi minka burhana Alla humma afwaka afwaka."
628. It is recommended that the person who lowers the dead body in the grave should be Pak, bare-headed and bare-footed and he should climb out of the grave from the feet side. Moreover, persons, other than the near relatives of the deceased, should put the dust into the grave with the back side of their hands and recite the following:
Inna lillahi wa innailayhi rajiun. If the dead person is a woman, her Mahram and in the absence of a Mahram her kinsmen should lower her in the grave
629. It is Mustahab that the grave be square or rectangular
in shape and its height equal to four fingers span. A sign should be fixed on it for
the purpose of identification and water should be poured on it, and then those present
should place their hands on the grave parting their fingers and thrusting them into earth.
Then recite Surah al-Qadr 7 times and pray for the
forgiveness of the departed soul and say: Alla humma jafil arza an jam bayhi wa asidilayka ruthahu wa
laqqihi minka rizwana wa askin qabrahu min rahmatika ma tughneehi bihi an rahmati
631. It is Mustahab that after the burial, the bereaved family is consoled, praying for their well-being. However, if the condolence is given long after the event, and if it serves to refresh the sorrowful memories, then t should be avoided. Inna lillahi wa innailayhi rajiun. If the dead person is a woman, her Mahram and in the absence of a Mahram her kinsmen should lower her in the grave
629. It is Mustahab that the grave be square or rectangular in shape and its height equal to four fingers span. A sign should be fixed on it for the purpose of identification and water should be poured on it, and then those present should place their hands on the grave parting their fingers and thrusting them into earth. Then recite Surah al-Qadr 7 times and pray for the forgiveness of the departed soul and say: Alla humma jafil arza an jam bayhi wa asidilayka ruthahu wa laqqihi minka rizwana wa askin qabrahu min rahmatika ma tughneehi bihi an rahmati man sitwaka."
630. It is Mustahab that when the persons who attached the funeral have departed, the guardian of the dead person or the person whom the guardian grants permission should recite the prescribed supplications for the dead person
631. It is Mustahab that after the burial, the bereaved
family is consoled, praying for their well-being. However, if the condolence is given long
after the event, and if it serves to refresh the sorrowful memories, then t should be
632. It is also Mustahab that a person should observe patience on the death of his near ones, especially on the death of his son, and, whenever the memory of the departed soul crosses his mind, he should say: "Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun" and should recite the Holy Quran for the sake of the departed. A man should visit the graves of his parents and pray there for the blessings of Allah for himself and should make the grave solid so that it may not be easily ruined
633. One should refrain from scratching one face or body and injure himself to display the grief
634. It is not permissible to tear ones cloth on the death of anyone, except than father and brother
635. If a man mourning the death of his wife or child tears his clothes, or a wife mourning a dead person scratches her face causing blood to come out, or pulls her hair, he/she should set a slave free, or feed ten poor, or provide them dress and if it is not possible, he/she must fast for 3 days and if blood does not come out, as an obligatory precaution, he/she must do the same
636. The obligatory precaution is that while weeping over the death.